IPG PAS in the past
The Department of Plan Breeding PAS was created in 1954, on the initiative of Professor Stefan Barbacki. The Department was set up by resolution No. 187/54 of the scientific secretariat of the Presidium of the Polish Academy of Sciences dated December 21, 1954. The establishment of the Department was the implementation of Professor Barbacki's idea to create in Wielkopolska strong agricultural science center. At the beginning this Department did not have its own building - it was located in various buildings, mostly belonging to Higher Agricultural School. Six years later (January 1, 1961), the Institute came into being as the Department of Plant Genetics of the Polish Academy of Sciences as a result of the unification of the Department of Plant Breeding, Polish Academy of Sciences in Poznań and the Department of Genetics, Polish Academy of Scinces in Skierniewice headed by Prof. Edmund Malinowski. According to Prof. Barbacki's idea, the newly created Department of Plant Genetics PAS had to constitute the genetic research centre for crop plants, whilst the Department in Skierniewice played the role of Genetic Research Centre.
In the 1950s and 1960s the Department of Plant Breeding PAS consisted of six Laboratories headed by eminent scientist from Poznań:
- The Laboratory of Genetics and Plant Breeding - prof. Stefan Barbacki;
- The Laboratory of Plant Physiology - prof. Jerzy Czosnowski;
- The Laboratory of Cytogenetics - prof. Teresa Hulelwiczowa;
- The Laboratory of Plant Biochemistry - prof. Jerzy Pawełkiewicz;
- The Laboratory of Mathematical Statistics - prof. Regina Elandt;
- The Laboratory of Phytopathology - prof. W. Błaszczak.
In the Genetic Research Centre in Skierniewice, four Laboratories (Cytogenetics, Flowering Plants Genetics, Fungal Genetics and set up in 1970 Laboratory of Cultivated Plants Gene Resources - converted into the Botanic Garden PAS in 1974, at present Polish Academy of Sciences Botanical Garden - Center for Biological Diversity Conservation in Powsin).
The research profile of the Department of Plant Genetics PAS encompassed not only cultivated plants genetics, cytology, physiology and biochemistry, but also plant breeding, field and glasshouse experimets and biometry, with special interest in cereals and fodder crops. Such research as poliplodyzation of cultivated plans, inter- and intrageneric hybrids and plant resistance to diseased was conducted.
In 1970 the Department of Plant Genetics PAS gained its current headquarters at 34 Strzeszyńska street in Poznań. At this time, new laboratories were set up and new researchers were employed. At the beginning of the 1970s the Department of Plant Genetics PAS in Poznań comprised the following Laboratories:
- Cytogenetics - head: Assoc. Prof. Tadeusz Kazimierski,
- Embriology and Plant Tissue Culture - head: Assoc. Prof. Maciej Zenkteler,
- Physiological and Biochemical Genetics - head: Assoc. Prof. Janina Przybylska,
- Resistance Genetics - head: Assoc. Prof. Irena Frencel,
- Population Genetics - head: Prof. Jerzy Szweykowski,
- Heterosis and Transgression - head: Prof. Stefan Barbacki,
- Immunogenetics - head: Assoc. Prof. Ignacy Wiatroszak,
- Mathematical Methods in Genetics - head: Prof. Tadeusz Caliński,
- Intrageneric Hybrids - head: Assoc. Prof. Stanisław Sulinowski,
- Mutagenesis - head: dr Mirosław Małuszyński.
Since the beginning of the 1970s new research areas of quantitative (including effects of heterosis and transgression) and population genetics has been investigated. An innovative in vitro cultures technique was used to obtain distant hybrids. Yet another innovative research on induced mutagenesis for broadening the variability of crop plants was performed.
In the 1970s in the Department of Plant Genetics PAS such eminent Professors as Andrzej Guranowski, Maria Guranowska, Henryk Pośpieszny, Adam Łukaszewski, Stefan Malepszy, Zbigniew, Jolanta Małuszyńska, Mirosław Małuszyński, Jerzy Puchalski and Jan Rybczyński have begun their scientific careers.
In January 1979 the Department was converted into the Institute of Plant Genetics of the Polish Academy of Sciences by the decision No 1/79 of the Presidium of the Polish Academy of Sciences with the aim to perform genetic studies on cultivated plants. New research techniques in genetics and molecular biology influenced the scope of the studies performed at the IPG PAS. New technologies allowed for plant genome analysis at the DNA structure level, construction of genetic and physical maps, identification of genes responsible for expression of important traits and examination of their functioning as well as creation of new biotechnological methods useful in breeding. The following years have brought new directions in the genetic studies, thus influencing changes in terms of research areas, staff and names of particular laboratories.
Until December 2012, the structure of the IPG PAS comprised 10 Laboratories:
- Genome Analysis - head: Prof. Wojciech Święcicki,
- Cytogenetics and Molecular Biology - head: Prof. Zbigniew Zwierzykowski,
- Biometry - head: Prof. Paweł Krajewski,
- Biochemical Genetics - head: Prof. Bolesław Salmanowicz,
- Quantitative Genetics - head: Prof. Tadeusz Adamski,
- Resistance genetics - head: Assoc. Prof. Małgorzata Jędryczka,
- Functional Genomics - head: Prof. Tadeusz Rorat,
- Structural Genomics - head: Prof. Bogdan Wolko,
- Metabolomics - head: Assoc. Prof. Piotr Kachlicki,
- Distant Hybrids - head: Assoc. Prof. Halina Wiśniewska.
On January 1, 2013 the organizational structure of the Institute underwent significant changes leading to staff integration within the priority directions of conducted research. In place of existing 10 Laboratories, 5 new Departments were created:
- Department of Environmental Stress Biology
- Department of Biometry and Bioinformatics
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Pathogen Genetics and Plant Resistance
- Department of Genomics
On January 1, 2014 the Department of Integrative Plant Biology
was created as a result of the EU FP7 ERA Chair project "The Creation of the Department Biology (acronym: bIO-TALENT)" www.biotalent.eu.