Plant-Microorganism Interaction Team
Assoc. Prof. Łukasz Stępień
Prof. Jerzy Chełkowski (retired professor)
Assoc. Prof. Lidia Błaszczyk
Justyna Lalak-Kańczugowska, PhD
Aneta Basińska-Barczak, MSc Eng. (PhD student)
Monika Urbaniak, MSc Eng. (PhD student)
Natalia Witaszak, MSc Eng. (PhD student)
Research topics of the team members include two main streams. The first one covers the biochemical and molecular characteristics of the saprobiotic and plant-pathogenic mycotoxin-producing fungi (mainly from Fusarium genus). Experiments are aimed at revealing the genetic basis of mycotoxin biosynthesis by strains of different species as well as molecular factors affecting the activity of the metabolic pathways.
The second part of the research is related to the Trichoderma and Clonostachys fungi and their roles as hyper-parasites and bio-transformation agents of the Fusarium-produced mycotoxins. The goal of this research is to understand the mechanisms of absorbtion/ biotransformation of the mycotoxins by Trichoderma and Clonostachys fungi.
- Molecular identification and characterization of pathogenic Fusarium species and antagonistic fungi from the genus Trichoderma and Clonostachys.
- Fusarium toxigenic abilities analysis ? quantification of mycotoxins produced in vitro and detection of the biosynthetic genes from the respective metabolic pathways .
- Evaluation of the enzymatic activities presented by the antagonistic fungi Trichoderma and Clonostachys.
- Kinetics of Fusarium mycotoxins biotransformation by strains of antagonistic fungi in liquid cultures.
- Identification and cloning of the genes encoding enzymes governing the metabolism of mycotoxins.
- isolation and purification of fungal strains from environmental samples,
- microscopic analysis,
- isolation of genomic DNA and the total RNA, synthesis of cDNA,
- PCR and RT-PCR amplification,
- molecular analysis of RAPD, SCAR, AFLP, SSR and phylogenetic markers,
- DNA fragment cloning and sequencing,
- biochemical analyses of enzymes activities.
Current research activities
- Fumonisin-producing Fusarium species? analysis of inter-and intraspecific variability inside the FUM gene cluster.
- Trichoderma and Clonostachys fungi capable of zearalenone and fumonisin biotransformation ? variability of lysis enzymes activities.
- Evolution of the beauvericin and enniatin biosynthetic gene cluster from Fusarium, Trichoderma and Beauveria fungi.
- Resistance of Pisum sativum and Lupinus angustifolius cultivars to infection by toxigenic fungi.
- Błaszczyk L., Basińska-Barczak A., Ćwiek-Kupczyńska H., Gromadzka K., Popiel D., Stępień Ł. (2017). Suppressive effect of Trichoderma on five toxigenic Fusarium species. Polish Journal of Microbiology 66: 85-100
- Kozłowska E., Urbaniak M., Kancelista A., Dymarska M., Kostrzewa-Susłow E., Stępień Ł., Janeczko T. (2017). Biotransformation of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) by environmental strains of filamentous fungi. RSC Advances DOI: 10.1039/c7ra04608a
- Gálvez L., Urbaniak M., Waśkiewicz A., Stępień Ł., Palmero D. (2017). Fusarium proliferatum - causal agent of garlic bulb rot in Spain: genetic variability and mycotoxin production. Food Microbiology. 67: 41-48. DOI: 10.1016/j.fm.2017.05.006
- Górna K., Perlikowski D., Kosmala A., Stępień Ł. (2017). Host extracts induce changes in the proteome of plant pathogen Fusarium proliferatum. Fungal Biology, DOI: 10.1016/j.funbio.2017.04.008
- Gromadzka K., Wit M., Górna K., Chełkowski J., Waśkiewicz A., Ochodzki P., Warzecha R. (2017). Fumonisins and Related Fusarium Species in Pre-harvest Maize Ear Rot in Poland. Cereal Research Communications 45(1): 93–103 DOI: 10.1556/0806.44.2016.048
- Jeszka-Skowron M., Zgoła-Grześkowiak A., Waśkiewicz A., Stępień Ł., Stanisz E. (2017). Positive and negative aspects of green coffee consumption – antioxidant activity vs. mycotoxins. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.8269
Project no: 2014/15/B/NZ9/01544
Project title: Genetic basis of biosynthesis of cyclic peptides by pathogenic fungi Hypocreales
Principal investigator: Ł. StępieńDuration: 20 July 2015 - 19 July 2018